Aug 25, 2008

Que Sera Sera

When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother, what will I be
Will I be pretty, will I be rich
Here's what she said to me.
Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera What will be, will be.!!!

How true can that be! Future is not ours to see. How easy life seems when you are still a nipper. Everything seems within your grasp – be it sun, star, be it a profession that is dreamt of, be it becoming famous and rich! How innocent can childhood be. No wonder that we yearn for it once we grow up to realize the harsh realities of life. That nothing in the world comes for free. That life is full of ups and downs!
Abha tagged me to list down 7 of my childhood memories. Thanks Abha, I so needed something to wake up my sleeping blog ;) Frankly, my list would not be much different from yours, but nevertheless here I go.
1) RICK-IE PANTING!
My earliest of memories takes me to cycle rickshaws. I grew up in a town very close to Delhi. Those were the days when cars were still considered a luxury and the town being small, cycle rickshaws were the most favoured mode of transport. I even had a rickshaw-wala to drop and pick me up from school (like the buses and vans of today). My favourite place in the rickshaw was at the back. It was bench like protrusion facing the opp side. It’s a different story that now I pity the rickshaw drivers who toiled and pulled on the cycles to ease our movement.


2) COFFEE WITH BOLLYWOOD
I guess that the love for movies has something to do with the chromosomes. My kids are testimony to the fact and my father’s favourite time pass is bolly-molly-woods! So, you should not have any doubts about me being a movie freak too. When India had not yet seen multiplexes and when movies meant big halls with creaking fans, we, as in, my parents, my bro and me, would make it a point to go for a weekend outing to those halls. It used to be a big occasion with even coffee being carried in thermos flasks and lot of farsans and some such to munch on (with popcorns being counted under luxuries). We have seen all the hits as well as flops of the 80s.
3) GORI TERA GAON BADA PYARA
A vacation to my grandparent’s village was something I looked forward to, each summer when Delhi and the other northern areas used to be scorching and frying everyone and everything. Whether it was the pond next door, or the clean and huge temples with its never ending alleys, whether it was a life without TVs, or the wells where we used to draw out the water using rope and pulley, whether there were fights amongst us cousins for the only table fan in the house or the get-togethers during festivals, the village life had its own charm. This will always remain one of my fondest memories of my childhood.
4) LOH-PATH-GAMINI!
The 36 hours of train travel when we went to Chennai from Delhi again was an occasion of sorts. The packing of clothes was something for my mother to decide but “how to spend time” during those 36 hours was something which required careful planning. Playing Cards were the most favoured option followed by books. Those were the times when Nancy was my heroine and I spent many a train journey with her solving all those cryptic mysteries. Then ofcourse, there always was the option of Antakshari. The train journeys were memorable since they also gave us the chance to mingle with unknown people who shared the journey and the destination with us and yet all led different lives.


5) MASTI KI PATHSHALA
Now that my children are in the middle school and I hear of the tales of mutual leg-pulling, troubling some teachers, liking some teachers, fight for lunch boxes, the nervousness before getting the papers, running to the loo during the class, praises and awards, punishments, group project works, assemblies, the choir group, the fights between the houses and classes for getting to the top, the walk back home with friends, the angst to become the monitor and trouble the people we fight with….. and more, I am transported to my own times. How similar all school times are and yet how unique that we cherish them :)
6) SAREE TIMES
One of our favourite pastime was trying to ape our elders. Sometimes, mummy-daddy, sometimes teacher-teacher, sometimes doctor-patient, the names were different but the aim was one- acting :) Infact, begging mom for a saree and then draping it haphazardly gave some kind of immense pleasure. When my daughters did the same, I could imagine what a sight I had made way back then!
7) AAJA NACHLE
I loved, I love dancing and I will always love dancing. Luckily my mother saw this passion of mine and got me enrolled in Indian classical dance classes. I used to love going for them. I took part in number of performances and had the chance to visit a lot of places along with my Guru. Though its a pity that the hobby got lost in the whole humdrum of living, and has mellowed down with age, the child in me still cant hold back herself during the seasons of Garbha and Dandiyas. Ah! I truly miss those days.

With that its time to wake from my sleep and plan for tomorrow :)
I wish to pass on the time to dream to Smita, Couchpapaya, Bubbles , Garbles and AVDI! Dream on, girls, dream on

27 comments:

Smita August 25, 2008 at 10:35 PM  

Awww!!!!! Chooo chweeet!!!

In fact 1st, 6th & 7th remind me of my times.

This holi we were in Delhi and guess what? I sat on the same rick seat u r talking about :) it was fun.

Saree...sigh! I remember when mom used to got out for some work I used to sneak into her wardrobe and wrap a saree on my frock. In fact my bro has even clicked a snap of it :)

Dance to meri jaan hai :) I used to dance in front of mirror but all alone nobody knew about my passion till I had joined college :)


Tagged me????
Tagged me????
Tagged me????
Tagged me????

Since you say I can't say no. I have a better reason, valid reason...when I was 15 I had me with an accident and lost my memory :D

Am i set free now???
Please!! Please!! Please!! Please!!

Ek shopaholic ki doosri shopaholic ko ghuar!!!

WhatsInAName August 25, 2008 at 10:46 PM  

No way! No excuse... and dont you try to emotionally blacmail me :P

WhatsInAName August 25, 2008 at 10:47 PM  

BTW, very very sweet comment from you too, girl!

--xh-- August 26, 2008 at 10:09 AM  

:) nice childhood memories... train journey is something i looked forward when i was a kid... and still I am fascinated by train journeys... :) thanks for sharing the sweet memories...

Monika August 26, 2008 at 10:27 AM  

Oh, love reading your post. Could relate to most of the things. Very well expressed as always :)

Mama - Mia August 26, 2008 at 12:30 PM  

brilliant post woman!! :D

you refreshed so many of my meories! especially trains!! and saree!! who would think i would hate wearing it eventually! :p

am glad you took up the tag!!!

hugs

abha

Bouncing-Bubble August 26, 2008 at 2:44 PM  

Lovely to read childhood reminiscence.. and cute poem in the beginning. That "bench like protrusion" we used to call it as baby seat, where I never got the opp to sit, coz I always looked bigger than my age :(..sometimes my seniors hv sat there lol.. I am all set to tk up the tag!!

Avionic Spanker August 26, 2008 at 4:26 PM  

*argh* .. the post and comments are dripping with sweetness

Anonymous,  August 27, 2008 at 9:30 AM  

Ah, finally! You wake up! :)
And such a sweet post! All those memories...

couchpapaya August 27, 2008 at 9:17 PM  

ohhh what wonderful memories, now wondering what i am to write !! i seem to have the same - esp the village, school, dressing up in sarees and train journeys bit!! BH and I were planning to make a loooong train journey next time we are down there, we really miss those times :D

Vee August 27, 2008 at 10:08 PM  

My blog is sleeping too so let me take this as platform to blabber... do not stop me pls...

1st - First school-Bus, 2nd one-walk, 3rd one-not even walk (boarding), last one-Bus.

2nd - Bollywood and me are like janam-janam ka saath. Have seen almost all movies post 70s. While growing up in 80s I used to watch movies in open theater where they showed movies of 50s/60s and movies used to get changed on daily basis. At times I used to watch from the generator room [Dad being the manager helped:)]

3rd - I used to go to 2 Gaons (patna n varanasi).. Lovely.. the best days of year were spent in gaons.

4th - Chhuk-Chhuk gaadi was like the best thing that could happen during the vacations to gaons.

5th - I was naughtiest (u can check with any one)... I have spent 1/3rd of my initial school days outside all of my headmaster's classroom. I used to break into staff room and find out the DOBs of girls my friends and I had crush on.. and so on so on so on

6th - Aaila.. ye nahi kiya..

7th - I too love dancing.. I haven't learnt any particular form of dance but I am renowned dancer amongst my circle. I also have charged people for making me dance when I did not feel like..:)

Bas ho gaya..

Ava August 28, 2008 at 7:47 AM  

Best memories of childhood? I was surrounded by cousins and our house was usually teeming with people, I used to have a nook on the roof where I used to hide and play my own games. Someday I will write about that rooftop.

WhatsInAName September 2, 2008 at 3:01 PM  

xh :)
Thanks for stopping by. You are so right. I am thinking of making a train trip soon to relive those memories!

Monika :)
Thanks a lot. Why dont you share your memories?

Abha :)
Thanks to YOU for making me go on that nostalgic trip :)

Bouncy :)
Awwwww... you missed it? But how could you NOT fight for that seat? :)

Spanker spanks me!!!! * grins sheeepishly* :) Will look out for spicier stuff now! Wait wait!

Mirror :)
You bet I woke and slept and now awake again! I am like this only :(

Papaya :)
Me thinking on similar lines. Why should I deprive my kids of the times. But on second thoughts, I am wondering if the "fast and furious" kids of today would really enjoy those "slow" journeys!

wow OXY!!! WOW again!
Lovely comment from you. Next time I am in Blore, lets have a dance party ;) and your father was a theatre manager... wow again! No wonder I read such good reviews from you!

Ava, you are tagged!
Lets hear it about the rooftop now :)

aMus September 3, 2008 at 4:46 PM  

ufff... i read this and i didn't comment?!!!i'm hgetting old? sniff..sniff

this took me down nostalgia lane...saree times...that brings back smiles...

loved reading this...

Usha September 5, 2008 at 11:47 AM  

Wonderful memories. And I loved all the titles. :) Soem brought back similar memories form childhood too.
You can dance? wow.

mystiquedew September 7, 2008 at 12:13 PM  

I missed this?
I missed this?
I need to be horsewhipped..
swwy WIAN, I read Bouncing B to get here..:)

But I am still in my childhood how do i reminisce :D:D:D:D

Lovelyyy post :)

vimmuuu September 9, 2008 at 2:05 AM  

welcome back and that too with such a sweet post!!! Guess what, with all these posts, one day each one of us would end up completing our autobiography !!!

aMus September 10, 2008 at 8:41 AM  

hey, collect your BFF badge pls...:)

Swati September 12, 2008 at 11:38 AM  

Wow ..what a lovely post !! I loved it :) I could so much relate to all ...all of it :)

Anonymous,  September 16, 2008 at 3:34 PM  

Hey, tell me your name! Quick! Quick! Don't tell Smita! :D
Tell me! Tell me!

Anonymous,  September 18, 2008 at 7:35 PM  

Wow!!! Such a colorful childhood, such powerful memory.. Very nice!

You might wanna write some more.. your children would want to read a lot more about their mom.. They would hate it if you lost yourself, while trying help them find themselves, right? :-)

P.S - adding you to my blog roll.. :-D

SCORPRIA... September 24, 2008 at 1:31 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Smita September 24, 2008 at 5:55 PM  

You have been tagged here

http://books-life-n-more.blogspot.com/2008/09/chak-de-phatte.html

Vidooshak September 25, 2008 at 11:45 AM  

loved the tribute to Bollywood's best in the captions/titles. beautiful nostalgic post...

Just Like That October 17, 2008 at 10:44 PM  

That was vintage TR. I miss that place, I do, or rather how it used to be. Lovely lovely post.:-D
And ROFL at Rickie panting! Only you could make up those titles!

Anonymous,  November 6, 2008 at 8:30 PM  

Check out http://www.sareetimes.com

Post a Comment

So what are your thoughts on my thoughts?

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP