Aug 12, 2007

Photo-phobic

I love seeing photographs. They have very good effect on our mind by refreshing it. Infact, they help in increasing the memory power as you try to recollect what had happened then. They are good for eyes too and help them sparkle and shine up. They help in blood circulation by making the adrenalin pump. They give an exercise to the facial muscle since you are bound to smile and smiling is very good for your face. They also help you realize the content of fat in your body, so you get motivation to take appropriate action.
I do not know the statistics but I distinctly remember reading somewhere that in any snap, majority of the people concentrate on their own picture. I certainly belong to that category. Try as I might, I end up judging myself in the snap. If I look good (which is rare), suddenly the whole world looks beautiful to me – the sun, the sky, the sofa, the walls everything!!! If I don’t look nice (as in most of the cases), I decide that the camera is awful and lights were bad. If the fat is showing everywhere, it is obvious that the angle of the shot was wrong. If I am looking dark (Fair and Lovely does not work!), the colour of the dress I am wearing is the culprit. All in all, after looking at myself in any snap, I come out enlightened.
I think I am not abnormal. I think most of us are the same. But does that mean I have to thrust my photo album in the hands of a poor guest the moment he enters my house? Would he really be interested in what I did on 24th of May 1997 in my cousins house-warming ceremony? Unless I know him closely, would he like to see my marriage album and give a comment on my aunt’s sister-in-law's father-in-law's friend?

Oh yes, there are such people around. Ushas this post reminded me of one of our old neighbours!
She is a nice dame, generally. Her hubby is nice, smiling, courteous person and they have two naughty children. They have been good neighbours whenever we wanted the kind of help we expect from a neighbour. After staying in the same locality for some years, we shifted apart.
But alas, whenever I happen to go to her house, she decides that her photos are the worlds best entertainment. Like last time when I went there, all was well for some half an hour till she decided to show me the photos of her brothers sons first birthday! Her eyes shined up and she was literally transported to some other plain. Her mother-in-law has the same interest I think. Both of them pounced upon me and my hubby and made us look and appreciate each and every pixel of the album. By the end of it, I had memorised the names of all her cousins, their sons and daughters, their mother in laws names too!
How do I tell her I AM NOT INTERESTED without sounding impolite! After all, we dont meet too often. Or, maybe I will just be sweet!!!

15 comments:

Just Like That August 13, 2007 at 2:16 PM  

aaah! this brings back memories of an 'article' written by someone on clicking fotos.;)

LOL Poor you. Next time why don't you try this? Go to he with some fotos of your and show it to her.

Remember tho' that you need to tell her of some pressing engagement you have to rush to after half an hour. Else, after your fotos, you'll end up looking at their fotos... and then ...

dame's diary August 13, 2007 at 3:35 PM  

Lemme guess your zodiac sign!
Is it Aquarius??

~nm August 14, 2007 at 1:20 PM  

Hahaha..quite hilarious! But its so true..unless you are close to that person, you really are not interested to see the entire picture album from the occasion.

WhatsInAName August 14, 2007 at 2:25 PM  

JLT :
aah yes, you have a good memory :P
Oh well, I will surely take an album along. Do you have one to spare?

Dame:
No, not aquarius, but close by. I am a capricorn. But I am curious to know what made you think I am an aquarius?

NM:
Thanks for the sympathies, dear. I can appreciate beauty in some pics but functions and all are yaaaawwwwwwwwwnnnnn!!!!

Itchingtowrite August 14, 2007 at 3:48 PM  

hey me too me too. i hate ..simply hate looking at other's marriage albums.. some people make us go thru every picture and introduce every person fotographed.. aaargh

I used to quarrel with my hubby becoz MIl used to dig out our marriage album everytime a guest came. I used to hate allowing people to get bored. and same goes for wedding cds. I can't bear it and MIL used to play the CD as if it is an interesting movie and it used to keep running and people used to go abt doing their work not even looking. embarassing to see yourself as a bride every other day...

Itchingtowrite August 14, 2007 at 3:49 PM  

btw, cudn't resist this. we went to meet a new bride in the neighbourhood. someone said teh dreaded words- where r the fotos. the "anty" thrust "her" wedding album under our noses. pain watching old sepia colored fotos

Something to Say August 14, 2007 at 6:04 PM  

Yawnnnnn such a bore..... but yes for "formality" sakes one has t go thru these 'foto albums'

WhatsInAName August 15, 2007 at 12:56 PM  

Itchy:
I am glad s many of you agree. I was feeling guilty of being so heartless in not appreciating others marriage albums ;)

STS:
You bet! Its a big yaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwn!

Life Unordinary August 15, 2007 at 7:01 PM  

Vanity is somethin we all possess, very few of us admit it though... :-)

Usha August 16, 2007 at 3:10 PM  

OH yes I know many people like that. I once entered a house and guess how I felt when 3 huge albums were brought out - and I was expected to ooh and aah at everyone they pointed out. And now it is the videos.

Swati August 16, 2007 at 3:44 PM  

Heheheh ..reminds me how I told my friend that I find one of my pics very cute and ended up making a joke of myself for years :D

And also , please stay away from me ..coz my own brother told me that I torture him showing him our pics on every visit :D

WhatsInAName August 17, 2007 at 4:20 PM  

Peridot: Right on dot :)

Usha: Oh well, come lets form a i-hate-marriage-albums club!

Swati: lol.. no probs I have mastered the art of smiling politely :) I will surely see your album

Hip Grandma August 17, 2007 at 10:46 PM  

But do you know?The album actually makes up for any difficulty in carrying on a meaningful conversation.Don't be judgemental.This may be the actual problem with the friend and her MIl

Anonymous,  August 20, 2007 at 5:43 PM  

Hey,

My wife used to do it every single opportunity make me wade through photos of her assorted cousins and distant relatives. Now finally after nearly 7 years she pours over them and I snore over them!!!!

SS

WhatsInAName August 21, 2007 at 9:24 PM  

HHGmom:
You are right but then sometimes I do look forward to more meaningful conversation. But yes, you have a point there!

SS:
lol... well have a great snore!

Post a Comment

So what are your thoughts on my thoughts?

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP