Jul 28, 2007

Olfactory modality

It is pouring cats and dogs in Mumbai today again and I am certainly not complaining. I love rain. Especially the first rain when the earth is scorched up by heat and then the showers come down upon them wafting the smell of wet earth. That set me thinking which are the smell that make me want to breathe long and hard.. that remind me of something, anything.. that make me wish a wish and dream a dream… or maybe I don’t even know why I like that smell.
1. I love the fragrance of wet earth. I am sure a lot many would agree to this. I don’t know what is with that muddy smell. But I know that it must be on the top-of-the-charts of all smells.
2. I love the aroma of roasted coffee beans being ground. There is this shop where I buy my regular pack of coffee powder. Everytime I go there, I am eager to rush back home and have a hot cup of filter coffee!
3. I like the smell of petrol. I am sure a lot many would say I am weird but I like the spicy (?) aroma. It’s a pity that some of us get into a spree of puking after inhaling it.. and it isnt good for health either!
4. I like the smell of Eucalyptus. It sets me dreaming of hills and greenery which are so rare these days.
5. I love the smell of henna. Again this one is very subjective and I know many who simply cant tolerate it. Its sad but then my hubby is one of them.
6. I love the smell of papyrus. I do not know how to describe it but yes I love the smell of a fresh new book just out of the print.
7. I love the smell of the soap called Hamam. It brings back to me the memories of my childhood. Although now I have shifted to Dove, but I see my father is still loyal to Hamam.
8. I love the perfume called Eternity by CK. It has nothing to do in particular with that brand. I am a perfume freak in any case. It is just that I was wearing the perfume throughout one of my trips last year and every time I wear it, I go back in time!
9. I love the smell of Johnsons baby powder and cream. It reminds me of my babies who have outgrown it now. I am reminded of some point in time when they were so tiny and dependant on me! Sigh
10. I like the smell of acetone or nail polish remover. I don’t know what its fruity odour does to me but I like it!

OK enough of my gibberish. Time for a hot cup of coffee now!

26 comments:

~nm July 28, 2007 at 10:02 PM  

Don't worry girl. You are not alone in the world who likes the smell of petrol. I'm there with ya! :D

And not only this I'm there with you for poitns 4, 5 but the one that comes from my hand after I've taken off the dried henna.

the mad momma July 29, 2007 at 11:26 AM  

hey..just saw a comment somewhere else about your daughter wanting to join orkut... sorry for unsolicited advice, but most of the firang mothers have signed up to all the friendship sites just to keep a check on cyber bullying etc... you might consider it if you are very worried. all the best.

Usha July 29, 2007 at 5:44 PM  

Love all of them too including eternity!That is weird, isn't it?

Asha July 30, 2007 at 9:48 AM  

A post on smells? Nice one... How nostalgic smells can make people!

WhatsInAName July 30, 2007 at 10:43 AM  

NM :
Good to know I am not the only one :)

Mad Momma:
hmmm.. Yeah thats a good idea and I was thinking along the same lines. Looks like I need to join Patrollers Anonymous :(

Usha :
Thank you so much for making me feel I am not weird :) I always thought I have an extreme kind of "nosiness" :)

Asha :
Yes, smells are so nostalgic!

Anonymous,  July 30, 2007 at 1:23 PM  

hmm nice to see a whole list, besides the OBVIIOUS kaapi ;-) if it was only about kaapi it wud have been a NU lol .. brevity is the soul of wit, and u are mastering it ;-)

regards
santhosh

Just Like That July 30, 2007 at 1:30 PM  

mmmmmmmmmmmm........aaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!! to all of the smells you've put down, except maybe henna. I don't mind it, but that's all.
And I don't know Eternity either.

I also love the smell of jasmine buds. And I don't drink, but I like the smell of fresh alcohol (the whiskey I used to pour out for my Dad at times)

WhatsInAName July 30, 2007 at 3:40 PM  

Santosh :)
Good to see you here. Yes, I am mastering the art of brevity. Will try that elsewhere too :)

JLT:
Jasmine yesh I love the smell too. I dont like Rose as much. Whiskey? hmmm... not smelt it much. :) Maybe I should switch over from Kaapi to that :)

Unknown July 31, 2007 at 10:43 AM  

This was lovely...ah, reminded me of the sudden love I have for roasted chana, bhutta and the like...and yes, the smell of moms cooking.
One enters her house and is in heaven...

WhatsInAName July 31, 2007 at 2:54 PM  

Kiran:
How could I have missed Bhutta! I love the smell too. One of my friends loves the smell of baingan being roasted for bharta! :)

Swati July 31, 2007 at 5:15 PM  

Great post ..:) Except for Eternity I love them all ..:) Henna is my favourite !!!

Unknown August 1, 2007 at 7:33 PM  

ohhh this is weird..i love almost all the smells u have described...except for the rains thing..:( i know i know!
ohh but nothing liek the smell of hot filter coffee..yumm!

Life Unordinary August 1, 2007 at 7:40 PM  

Have you tried Romance - Ralph Lauren, since you said you love perfumes....u'll love the smell too, it'll be 11th on your list :-)

Hip Grandma August 1, 2007 at 10:28 PM  

I seem to love most of the smells that you love.No I don't love the smell of petrol tho' to be fair i don't hate it

Fuzzylogic August 2, 2007 at 9:33 AM  

I love the smell of first rain too. There's something really amazing in that. As for the others except the eternity I love all of them too. I used to feel pretty odd saying that I loved petrol smell,my friends always thought that was weird. Now I;m glad I am not the only one.
I second peridot on Ralph Lauren -Romance!I simply love that perfume.
Nice post.It certainly awakened the senses:)

Lavs August 2, 2007 at 11:39 AM  

Except for nos 4/7/8/10, I am with you on all smells. And I thought I was the only one to like petrol smell. I also like varnish smell, the smell of freshly painted walls and turmeric.

Something to Say August 2, 2007 at 12:55 PM  

O I am a smelly person too - when I cook,I decide if its good or otherwise solely by how it smells... and dont you think some smells have associations for us..like there is this perfume I used to wear during our courtship - and hubby still calls it - meri girlfriend wali perfume....

dame's diary August 2, 2007 at 4:12 PM  

smell of soil after the first rain,Eternity , baby smell, roasted coffee beans. awww love it .......

WhatsInAName August 3, 2007 at 3:39 PM  

Swati:
Thanks and will surely take up the tag by the weekend  I still have one more homework from you pending … on indian authors!

RV:
Thank you. But surprising to see someone from Mumbai not liking rain 

Peridot:
Thank you for the reco. Will surely chk out Romance.

HHG:
Hmmm yes, Petrol is something not everyone would love!

Fuzzy:
OK. With 2 reco, now Romance is going to be my next perfume.
Thank you for stopping by.

Lavs :
Good atleast we agree on more than 50%  mmmm I like varnish as well as turmeric smell too.

Something:
Lol at smelly person hehehe. Agree with you on associations. Some smells may not mean anything to some people and may mean everything to others 

Dame:
Thanks for the visit. Glad you can relate to them!

Anonymous,  August 7, 2007 at 1:38 PM  

The scent of a fresh baby diaper. The raw smell of a leather ball. The healing smell of Vicks inhalation. The pleasant smell of Masala tea. The aroma of Pakodas emanating from a roadside stall. The strong smell of Petrol, Dettol and Crackers. The fresh smell of wood at a carpenter’s workplace.

Hi,
Loved the post with so much of fragrance! I wrote a similar post a year ago titled "SMELL IS A POWERFUL SENSE'. You can read it here:

http://bellurramki18.wordpress.com/2006/06/19/smell-is-a-powerful-sense/

Happy smelling
RK

Anonymous,  August 7, 2007 at 1:42 PM  

hi,
read some of your older posts. you really have a flair for writing. honoured to blogroll you.

regards
rk

WhatsInAName August 7, 2007 at 5:21 PM  

RK :)

I am honoured as well. Will surely check out your post.
Thanks for the visit.

DC August 9, 2007 at 1:05 PM  

I love all the fragrances you have listed... and you know what, they have come up with a name for that pleasant smell of wet earth - 'Petrichor' - yes, that's what it is called...google it up!

WhatsInAName August 11, 2007 at 12:13 PM  

DC:
Wow Petrichor, is it? Thanks for adding to my GK. Will keep this in mind.
BTW, I could not see your blog? Do you or dont you?

Anonymous,  January 10, 2010 at 7:42 PM  

Hey I'd love to congratulate you for such a terrific made site!
I was sure this is a perfect way to make my first post!

Sincerely,
Hilary Driscoll
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/western-party-supplies.html]western Party Supplies[/url].

Post a Comment

So what are your thoughts on my thoughts?

  © Blogger template AutumnFall by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP